Wednesday 5 August 2009

Summer School - Second instalment - maths!


As you may have guessed from Monday's update, we have been kept veeery busy. Luckily we have been well-fed and watered (and we have managed the occasional glass of wine even if we didn't make it as far as the bar!).

Tuesday was always going to be the most challenging day, not ideal given that I had the epic headache from hell. Julia and I spent Monday evening checking that my maths was right for the self-striping exercise, resulting in a rather late 1.30am bedtime and me not being able to sleep for thinking about measuring, counting and chart-planning (maybe this was the reason for the headache!).

After Julia "liberated" a flipchart from the lecture theatre (we did return it), I did a "classroom" session explaining the maths behind self-striping patterns. I felt (almost) like a proper teacher ; )

Armed with calculators, coloured pencils and graph paper, the group designed their "faux fairisle" patterns. Then we had some fun measuring huge long skeins stretching them out around chairs.

If anyone had been wearing a pedometer it would probably have gone into overdrive with all the walking! After the skeins were all marked out with garden twine and string, painting began in earnest.



And here are some of the results.....




For lots more lovely skeins, I've uploaded Tuesday's album here

2 comments:

Crobbles said...

Do we get to do this at the scout hut?
My maths was never strong but I'd love to have a go.

Debbie said...

The maths is relatively easy - it's finding the space that's more challenging and winding such looong skeins round the chairs! Am trying to work out how to fit this into a shorter course, so will keep you posted : )

Email me updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Pinterest

    Follow Me on Pinterest

    Debbie's Slideshow

    Heritage Crafts Association

    The Heritage Crafts Association

    Craft Rally

    P/hop

    Blog Archive

    UK Knitters Blogring

    Creative Connections webzine

    About Me

    My photo
    Hi and welcome to my blog! Check out what's been cookin' in my Colour Cauldron and see what's been keeping me busy.....
     
    Dyers Web Ring
    Powered By Ringsurf